10/02/2008

$2 Tater Thursdays - Honoring Grandpa through Snail Mail


Aside from his amazing faith and love for fishing, the one thing everyone knew about my Grandfather was that he did a greeting card ministry. I would love to have seen his address book! He had hundreds, upon hundreds of people that he would randomly send cards out to on a fairly regular basis. And let me tell you, God must have spoke to him constantly about whom to send them to because they ALWAYS arrived just when you needed them! Not only were they inspiring with his uplifting words and scripture, but every once in awhile, he'd send a $2 bill, too. I don't know how many times those $2 bills fed me a lunch when I first starting out and had nothing!

So today, I wanted to teach Nathan that there are other ways of communicating with people other than the computer! A world of cards/letters/stamps does exist! So we picked out 5 family members and decided to send them a surprise card.

Probably a week after my Grandfather passed away this year, I was in Walgreens and needed a filler item to reach my total for the $5 coupon. There calling to me was a box of Greeting Cards. It was like he was telling me to get them, "just in case." So we had some cute cards on hand for our project!

First I had Nathan color some pictures and do some marker artwork. Then, I had him write his own personal message inside each one. We folded up the artwork and I had him lick the envelopes. Too funny! He looked at me like, "What was that disgusting taste?!" Don't worry, I only let him do one! But he did help put the labels and stamps on.

We put two of them in the mailbox so he could see how the flag worked. The other three, we took to the Post Office. While I was there, I sent a surprise package to a friend of mine. I can't wait to hear what she thinks of it.

It was a nice little project for the day. In the end, we spent $2.10 on stamps but we had a little left over from last week so we are still on budget.

I'm hoping that I can teach Nathan to continue on my Grandfather's tradition of "surprise cards." It brightens people's days so much!

Hope your day with your little ones was great, too!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by Coupon Geek! I value my readers and their advice, tips and comments. Please remember that Coupon Geek is a positive, family-friendly and upbeat site when leaving your comments.

Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you again soon!

Blessings to You All!
~Jaycie

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.