5/14/2009

DIY: How-To Make Your Own Baby Food

When I found out I was pregnant a second time, I decided that this time around, I was going to make my own baby food. My friend Bridgette had told me how easy it was and...she was right! I got the So Easy Baby Food Kitfor Christmas so that is the method I am using. You can use the stovetop or microwave. (Others use a steamer) This is just one way. I thought I'd share it with you in case you were debating making some, as well. It doesn't take long but at the same time, it may not be for everyone. The first batch I made was sweet potatoes. (I must say that as I was making these, Nathan kept sneaking out pieces of them, eating them raw.) :)


1) Wash the Sweet Potatoes.


2) Peel the Sweet Potatoes. (I used a really great veggie peeler I have.)


3) Cut them into cube-sized pieces and put them in a microwave safe dish. I used an 8x8 Pyrex glass dish.

4) Cover the dish with microwave safe wrap and microwave for 8-10 minutes, until a fork can easily pierce them. Let them "stand" for 5 minutes.


5) Place in a blender or food processor starting with 1/2 cup of water. (I found it easier to put the water in first with my blender.) If you need a smoother consistency, you add more water. (I had to add more since it's her "first foods.")

6) Pour into the trays and freeze. (These are really just glorified ice cube trays w/ good sealing lids.) Note: I did keep some out since I needed some for that day.


7) Wait 8-10 hours to freeze and then pop them out of the trays and store. I had to run a little warm water on the trays to loosen them a bit but then they came out super-easy. I put them in labeled Ziploc Freezer bags.

You just take what you need for the day out the night before to defrost in the fridge and off you go! (If you wanted them a little warm, you can microwave them but always test them first for hot spots before feeding them to your baby!!!)

Funny thing is, when I bought the sweet potatoes, they rang them up as sweet onions, overcharging me. When I went back, they gave them to me for FREE! So, my total baby food expense is zero, for the homemade kinds! I did pick up some Organic baby food on sale in case something happens and I can't get some made. I'm frugal but I don't want my baby to starve, either! :) I did focus on the more expensive fruits/veggies so I'd get "my money's worth."

And that's making baby food in a nutshell. I now have several servings for her and next week, I'll make a new veggie and keep building up stock, buying what's on sale each time. If you are going to make your own food, I'd definitely look into a checking out a recipe book from your library. They have great ideas on mixing veggies, cooking times, etc.

Don't let fear stop you from trying it out. If you can operate a food processor/blender and a microwave, you can do it! You biggest struggle might be finding room in your freezer! :)

But for me, the final test was...what did Kaydi think of them? You be the judge...


Thank you to my friend, Bridgette, for encouraging me that I could do this! :)

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I have a plan in the back of my head to put together a Frugal Baby post on making my own baby food, but I haven't gotten to it yet. In addition to being so inexpensive compared to the pre-made stuff, I actually find it very fulfilling to make all of my baby's food. I'm not saying I'll do it forever. Since I'll soon have two babies 12 months apart, I'm not convinced I can do it all, but every sweet potato I bake is saving me money!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Coupon Geek! I value my readers and their advice, tips and comments. Please remember that Coupon Geek is a positive, family-friendly and upbeat site when leaving your comments.

Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you again soon!

Blessings to You All!
~Jaycie

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.