6/09/2009

Conveniently At Home: Peach Stuffing



For those of you that are new, this is my "journey" to switch from processed to homemade!

We have a "Dinner Club" with our friends taking turns making meals at our houses for everyone. My friend Cassandra made this delicious Peach Stuffing and immediately I said, "OK, Cass, I need this recipe!" It's quite a switch from the normal stuffing recipe. So this week's Conveniently At Home recipe is for Peach Stuffing!

Now, in the past, I've been a Stovetop Stuffing girl. I mean, seriously, boil water/butter, dump in stuffing and five minutes later you have a "side dish." Talk about convenient. But at the same time, there's nothing that tastes even close to homemade!

This is one of those recipes that I feel is best the second day. It gives everything a day to just marinate together. The peaches and raisins make a nice sweet mixture to the rest of the ingredients.

What You'll Need:

1-1/2 Cups of Water
1 Cup of Butter/Margarine (Divide into 3/4 cup and 1/4 cup parts)
1 (15 Ounce) Bag of Seasoned Bread Cubes (How-To Make Your Own HERE)
1 Cup Chopped Celery
2 Medium Onions, Chopped
1 (16 Ounce) Can of Sliced Peaches, Chopped (Keep liquid!)
1/2 Cup of Seedless Raisins

On To The Recipe:

1) Heat water and 3/4 cup margarine in a large heavy pot and bring to a boil. Remove from Heat. Add bread cubes and toss lightly with a fork. Set aside.

2) Cook and stir celery and onions in remaining margarine (1/4 cup) in a large skillet over medium-high heat until tender, about 5 minutes or so.

3) Add celery/onion mixture, chopped peaches w/ their liquid and raisins to bread cube mixture. Toss lightly to mix well.

Transfer to an over-safe pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

You can make this ahead of time and pop it in the over to cook/re-heat. If you use real peaches, as opposed to canned, don't worry about "liquid." I just used the peaches and it was fine. It took about 6-7 peaches but it all depends on how much you need to cut off. (as in bruised areas) Since I was nervous about not having the liquid, I did stir it twice w/i the 45 minutes that I cooked it. It seemed to help keep the juices in the stuffing.

MY NOTES:
Can you all believe that I actually not only made my own bread cubes but I also used fresh peaches?! I know, right?! It was a lot of fun. I had made the bread cubes a few days before but didn't have enough. So I had to whip some up last minute. I think I should have waited a little longer for them to dry out because it was a tad bit mushy...at first. But as everything sat, the recipe turned out great! For those of you with less time, canned peaches and pre-made bread cubes works just fine! :) How did it turn out? Yummy, but here's a picture:



That was my homemade recipe for this week. Here's hoping that you've found something new to make from scratch and found that it was Conveniently At Home!

If you made a recipe this week, or have one to share, please leave us a linky! I've been checking these and what you've all emailed over and I'll be making some of these up for future postings. Thanks for sharing!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds wonderful. I'm wondering if I can also substitute apples for the peaches and pair it with pork. I just love apples and pork tenderloin (and it's actually something the whole family likes)! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Coupon Geek! I value my readers and their advice, tips and comments. Please remember that Coupon Geek is a positive, family-friendly and upbeat site when leaving your comments.

Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you again soon!

Blessings to You All!
~Jaycie

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.