7/01/2009

Conveniently At Home: Calico Beans


Welcome to my weekly series called Conveniently At Home. The idea of this series is to slowly transition myself from buying pre-made and/or processed foods and eventually make most of my foods "from scratch." This will be a slow journey but one worth the wait!

I decided last minute to change this week's recipe because I realized...it's 4th of July weekend coming up, and this one would be PERFECT to share right now! This recipe comes from my dear friend Kristen. I was so incredibly grateful that she's allowing me to share it. Her mother has been making it for her family for over 15 years. Super Yummy!

Here are the ingredients needed:
*4 strips of bacon
*1/4 cup of vinegar
*1/2 cup of brown sugar
*2 Large Onions- cut into rings
*1 can of Dark Red Kidney Beans, drained
*1 can of Large Butter Beans, not drained
*1 can of Bush's Baked Beans, not drained, taller can
*1/2 tsp of Baking Soda
*Pinch of Garlic Salt
*1/2 tsp of dry mustard (optional)

In a large skillet, cook the 4 strips of bacon. Right before it turns crisp, add the 1/4 cup of vinegar. Then add the 1/2 cup of brown sugar and large onions that are cut into rings. Cook for about 15 minutes on low heat.

Next, you'll have to decide if you are going to bake these in the oven or use a crockpot. Either way, pour the 3 different kinds of beans in the proper dish, making sure to drain only the dark red kidney beans. Add the bacon mixture. Next, add the baking soda, pinch of garlic salt and dry mustard (if you are using that).

For the oven, you'd cook them at 375 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes. For the crockpot, you'll cook them on High for around 2 hours, if your crockpot runs hot.

Then...enjoy!

My Notes:
I love how this recipe has so many different varieties of beans. I did ask Kristen what she thought of using Turkey Bacon in the recipe and she really thought the recipe was better with the added grease of "regular" bacon. (I've found this to be true with some recipes, too!) The only thing I don't like about this recipe is that I can't stop eating them! :) They go perfect for BBQs!

Thank you again, to Kristen, for sharing this wonderfully delicious recipe with us!

That was my homemade recipe that I tried for this week. Here's hoping that you've found something new to make from scratch and found that it was Conveniently At Home! If you made a recipe this week, or have one to share, please leave us a linky! And feel free to email me (or leave to a link to) any of your homemade recipes for me to try out. I'll add them to my list for future weeks.

4 comments:

  1. Good idea in theory, however, is that all you plan to do all day? I hate cooking (mostly cleaning up). I would rather be doing 100 other things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, not sure if you have posted about the Gather 'Round the Grill deal or not? In case case, below is the linnk to my post:

    http://buymore4less.blogspot.com/2009/07/its-grillin-time.html

    Great deal for $6.00 off the other white meat w/the purchase of charcoal and another product like hotdogs and/or dress - the post has the details!

    Enjoy and happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Home made beans are the best!! Thanks for reminding me of them:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made these this weekend and they are wonderful! I substituted the kidney beans for some white beans from my stockpile with no problem.
    Thanks for the great recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Coupon Geek! I value my readers and their advice, tips and comments. Please remember that Coupon Geek is a positive, family-friendly and upbeat site when leaving your comments.

Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you again soon!

Blessings to You All!
~Jaycie

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.