7/21/2009

Conveniently At Home: Hot & Spicy Sloppy Joes


Welcome to my weekly series called Conveniently At Home. The idea of this series is to slowly transition myself from buying pre-made and/or processed foods and eventually make most of my foods "from scratch." This will be a slow journey but one worth the wait!

For some reason this week, I decided I was hungry for Sloppy Joes. When Matt sent over the link for the FREE pork chop recipe book HERE, I decided to search the Recipe Lion site to see what they had. Something caught my eye; Hot & Spicy Sloppy Joes. The recipe called for jalepenos and I had some ripe in my garden. Perfect timing!

MY NOTES:

So I was petrified to cut up my jalepenos. I've heard stories of people wiping their eyes or skin with the juice and had some major burning. So I was very, very careful! I'm not sure if the jalepenos were too ripe, not ripe enough or if I cut out too much of the ribs but the Sloppy Joes really weren't that spicy. It's of no fault of the recipe. I am not a big fan of spicy food and I could eat the jalepenos without feeling the heat. It was a bummer but the recipe was still sooo good, regardless. One important note is that time may vary by crockpot. Mine was bubbling and almost burning the edges of the crockpot after 1-1.5 hours on high. I turned it down to low for the remainder of the time.

Here's a picture of them after I topped them with cheese:


That was my homemade recipe that I tried for this week. Here's hoping that you've found something new to make from scratch and found that it was Conveniently At Home! If you made a recipe this week, or have one to share, please leave us a linky! And feel free to email me (or leave to a link to) any of your homemade recipes for me to try out. I'll add them to my list for future weeks.

2 comments:

  1. I love the "Conveniently at Home" idea! I'm trying to do the same myself - making things from scratch instead of buying pre-made.
    I stopped buying Sloppy Joe mix in a can when hubby & I got married. He doesn't cook much (at all!) but he makes THE best sloppy joes from scratch! Sadly, I can't share the recipe because he's one of those "a little of this, a pinch of that, toss in some of ..." type of cooks. I know it has ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard, though that's all I know. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious!! Looks yummy too:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Coupon Geek! I value my readers and their advice, tips and comments. Please remember that Coupon Geek is a positive, family-friendly and upbeat site when leaving your comments.

Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you again soon!

Blessings to You All!
~Jaycie

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.