9/22/2008

Cutting Costs: Freezing Grapes


We have been having phenomenal sales on grapes lately. So much so, that it's become my latest pregnancy craving! I know the prices are going to skyrocket here soon enough so I decided I'd freeze some. I finally found time to do the research online to see if there were any special tricks to freezing grapes. (Do I wash them first? Freeze then wash upon using? etc. etc.)

Since I had some library books due, Nathan and I made a quick little trip into town to drop them off, pick up grapes and get our "supplies" for Thursday's latest adventure. Since I still had a bit of a cold-headache, we made it quick! I think I ended up with about 7 lbs of grapes @ $.99lb.

Nathan helped me rinse off the grapes and then I laid them out to dry. (pictured above.) Now some sites after this said to put them in Ziploc bags, while others said to freeze them on a cookie sheet first. Since I figured the freezing them first couldn't hurt, that's what we did.

I am still amazed at how well that little $10 Handi-Vac works at sealing up the bags! When I thawed some corn I had frozen last month, it tasted as fresh as the day I blanched it. So I'm hoping the grapes will be the same way!
It didn't take very long at all. The longest part was just waiting for them to dry on their own.

So if your stores are having sales on grapes too, consider freezing up some for some "fresh" produce this fall/winter when the prices are too high to fit many into your budget.

For cost savings, I could figure that these grapes would have cost $3 or more a lb. later in the season but to be honest, when they go up in price, I just don't buy them. So my savings are that I get to enjoy them for many months to come!

What is your favorite thing to freeze/can? And/or which things save you the most $$ by freezing/canning? I am really starting to enjoy this "getting ready for winter" prep so I'd love to try out a few more things!

1 comment:

  1. Those look yummy! We have a grape vine that grows back every year that has the sweetest little grapes. I decided to can them. I've never done it before so I had some help. I got 22 jars of pure juice and there were plenty more bunches left. A few yrs. ago I met someone that only eats frozen grapes-I had never heard of that!I also have a foodsaver too, and love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Coupon Geek! I value my readers and their advice, tips and comments. Please remember that Coupon Geek is a positive, family-friendly and upbeat site when leaving your comments.

Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you again soon!

Blessings to You All!
~Jaycie

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.