6/16/2009

Conveniently At Home: Crockpot Applesauce & Food Processor Fun


Welcome to my weekly series called Conveniently At Home. The idea of this series is to slowly transition myself from buying pre-made and/or processed foods and eventually make most of my foods "from scratch." This will be a slow journey but one worth the wait!

So, this week, I had a little fun with the new Food Processor. I made up two different kinds of bread crumbs, baby food applesauce and sliced up some carrots. (I'll later make some baby food from the carrots, too!) Now, here's where the geek in me will show---I am a little intimidated by my food processor! The girl's got some major power to her! As I was slicing up the carrots, all I kept thinking was, wow, that could have been a finger! (Did I tell you that I named her Ms. Black Beauty? I figure we'll make beautiful things together and she's got major horsepower!) Anyway, as bread crumbs, baby food and carrots didn't sound like a thrilling posting, I also whipped up a batch of some Crockpot Applesauce. Yum!

Yes, I have made this twice before. But it's been soo long ago. I had some apples left over from making Kaydi's baby food and I just couldn't resist the temptation! I'm telling you, it's really the best air freshner--the sweet smell of baking apples filling the house. I kept thinking I should have called this "Home Sweet-Smelling Home" series. :)

I am looking forward to picking apples from an orchard again this year. If you are planning on doing the same, keep this Crockpot Applesauce recipe handy! You'll love making it! What I love is that it uses such basic ingredients and is so simple to make.

That was my homemade recipe that I tried for this week. Here's hoping that you've found something new to make from scratch and found that it was Conveniently At Home! Thanks to A Year of Slowcooking for the fabulous recipe!

MY NOTES:
I was completely surprised to find out I didn't have any brown sugar! Lesson learned to always double-check everything when making recipes! But then I decided, you know, I really don't need all that sugar anyway! I had doubled the recipe and instead of 2T of brown sugar, I just added a little less than 1T of regular sugar. It still tasted yummy! I also tried something different this time and mixed red and green apples to mix up the sweet and tart flavors! Tasted delicious!!

If you made a recipe this week, or have one to share, please leave us a linky! And feel free to email me any of your homemade recipes for me to try out. I'll add them to my list for future weeks.

2 comments:

  1. i got my first food processor this weekend and i can't wait to try it out. you make them sound so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to make this later this week, it is on of our favorites:
    Salsa Chicken:

    4 chicken breasts (we usually use six so we have left overs)
    1 can rinsed black beans
    1 bag frozen corn (we use use two cans of canned corn)
    1 jar salsa

    Mix all together in crockpot and cook 8-9 hours on low. Shred chicken w/ 2 forks, but really as soon as you pick it up or mix it, it just falls apart and shreds apart itself. You can eat it in tortillas with shredded cheese on top or over rice.

    The original recipe says to put it on for 8 hours on low, but we have found that it dries out the chicken so we have started putting on for a shorter time. We have started putting it on for 6 1/2 hours on low and it comes out great!

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by Coupon Geek! I value my readers and their advice, tips and comments. Please remember that Coupon Geek is a positive, family-friendly and upbeat site when leaving your comments.

Thank you for your time and I hope to hear from you again soon!

Blessings to You All!
~Jaycie

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.